Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Public Transportation, P/C Mobility and Me

In February, I went to CARTA offices (our city's public transportation) to get a Tel-e-ride ID. It's for a van that can give me and my powerchair, (P/C) a ride anywhere in the area for a low cost. They're sending me the book that goes with it in the mail. Traffic was just crazy, it always is now. Any time of day, it's like rush hour.

At CARTA I parked right in front and just had to cross the driveway where buses drive up and drop customers. There's a door in the side of the office, next to what looked like an air hose, laying uncoiled on the ramp. I walked around it using my walker to the door. A young man held the door for me, there was an older woman standing by the door, I thought she wanted to come out so I said “go ahead” (come on out) but she said “just go ahead”, so I did. She was waiting for someone. The woman at the main desk, with pretty purple earrings asked, “Are you here for the ID”?
Yes”.
OK, just walk down to that black chair and have a seat, someone will help you”.
So I walk about ten steps and sit down. It's in front of a white screen and a woman asks my name, looks through a paper file. I've already done the mail in application. That took about three weeks. Then their camera was inoperable for about three weeks. The lady asks for my ID. She looked at it. “Thank you.” She went to another desk and got a small red camera. She got real close up and I smiled, she took it. She moved around slowly so all this took long enough for me to look around at everything in between talking to her. She came back with my ID and said “We got a little smile”. Wished I'd said it was the muscular dystrophy that affects my face muscles so only the right half of my lips smile. The left just kinda stays neutral. I notice my eyes are really slanting down at the outside too. And even though I put what looked like a decent amount of blush on, my face looks so pale in the pic. Man I need some sun! I opted for the least explanation, and thanked her. As I stood up I asked about the disabled fare and she said, “we don't do that here”.
OK, I'll ask where. Thank you!” I walked back to the main desk. She was on the phone so I looked at bus pamphlets waiting for her to finish, but she didn't so I asked another woman sitting at another desk about the disability fare. She looked like she didn't know what I was talking about or if she should even talk to me cause she looked back at the receptionist and the receptionist said, “you'll have to get that at One Stop on Rivers Avenue.”
OK, thanks”. Something I've thought of is why can't you apply at the main Carta office? How about including it in the process of getting accepted for Tel-e-ride? I turn to go out the door but couldn't push the door hard enough with my walker to get it more than a few inches open then it closes back. It's a heavy door and no automatic door opener. I look out the glass in the door and there's the bus unloading passengers but they all go another direction. An employee goes on the bus and comes off and she and another woman see me standing at the door but didn't realize I needed it open. So I finally turned around and asked the receptionist, “ could you help me open the door” and she came around. She asked me to step back a little so she could get a good push and opened it for me. I said “thank you” and took a few steps and realized the bus was parked in front of the ramp. I asked an employee if she knew how long it would be parked there and she said “Hm”? I pointed to the ramp, she said, “as soon as I can get someone to come move it” and she went to call someone. She went on and off the bus and in and out the door and a driver came and went on and drove off. By this time my legs were so shaky from standing there and I saw the ramp and was afraid I would fall. With intense concentration and holding the rollerator handles like 100 lb weights with the brakes on, I made it. I realize it's not safe to walk like that but my other choice was going back in the door I needed help with or waiting for someone to come along and hold my arm.
I could have made an appointment to have them pick me up and bring me, but I would've had to wheel my P/C about a mile and a half to their pick up limit. I'm glad to finally have my ID though and hope to use it soon. I'm going to have to figure out this transportation thing.

My local disability independent living center, is supportive of my goal to work and have transportation. They're great counselors who understand all the hurdles disabled people go through to get out of our homes and access our community. They tell me they have a P/C carrier that would fit my vehicle but at the present time, I have an engine problem that I'm not sure of and no money in my SSI income to find out. I wonder if there are any mechanics who could diagnose it free? I hate asking. I finished my degree and need experience, but I also need my P/C.


No comments:

Post a Comment